Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

God is faithful

"God is faithful"....these were the words my father-in-law said to us after our crazy Wednesday.

Last week, we had an appointment with our OB to have an ultrasound to determine Hudson's size and if I would be able to deliver him or would need a C Section.  We went into the ultrasound so excited and sure that when we left, we would have a plan of action!

Let's just say that's not how the day went....

My appointment was Wednesday morning so Andrew stayed home from work so he could take me.  {Because I am on bed rest, I cannot drive.}  We left around 9 so we could grab a bite to eat on the way.  We arrived at the doctor's office a little early but had to wait for what seemed like an eternity to have our ultrasound.  Finally, they called my name and we went back.  She put a little warm gel on my belly and up came a picture of our sweet little man.  She started taking measurements right away.  We could see that his head was measuring a little large, that he seemed to be a big boy, and that he was breech!  After showing us his face, arms, feet, hair, etc she told us that she would guess that he weighed around 6 lbs.
 
Good news:  he wasn't too big!  Bad news:  he was breech so I would probably have to have a C Section.
 
After our ultrasound we waited to talk to the doctor and for an exam {or so I thought}.  My doctor was not in the office on this particular day so we had to see a different doctor.  She came and got us and took us back to her office.  Her office??  Why were we going in here??  Weren't we having an exam done too??  We sat down and she started to explain to us that she was very concerned about the size of his head {it was measuring 39 weeks while the rest of his body was measuring a few weeks behind}.  I was 35 weeks.  Hudson has a 39 week head.  Something wasn't adding up.  She explained that this could be a sign of hydrocephalus, neural tube defects....and the list went on and on.  I sat there with my nursing hat on.  I was completely calm and just listened to everything she had to say.  She said that she would like for us to go see a high risk doctor in Charlotte.  We agreed and she said they would call us later with an appointment.  She looked at Andrew and said "Are you okay?"  I looked over at my husband and saw the concern on his face.  Off came my nurse hat and on came my momma hat.  OH. MY. GOODNESS.  This is my baby....our baby.  I have already come to love him so much and imagine how perfect he will be.  Now, they are telling me something could be wrong??  How could this be?  What had I done to make this happen?  Was it my fault?  Did I not take good care of myself and Hudson?  Did it have something to do with all my recent blood pressure issues?  How could they not pick up on this before?
 
We left her office and I immediately burst into tears.  Andrew told me everything would be okay.  I wiped my tears, checked out, and headed to the car.  Where I immediately burst into tears.  We just sat there trying to process it all.
 
We chose to not have any of the testing done during pregnancy {down syndrome, etc) because it didn't matter.  We didn't care.  And we knew that whatever God had in store for us was His plan and we would be more than happy with the outcome.
 
We both realized that no matter what was going on, Hudson was perfect.  Perfect for us.
 
We both called our mom's {because they knew we had an appointment and if we didn't call them, you could be sure that they would call us!}.  And we told them our news.  I could barely get the words out as I talked to my mom.
 
We had a few errands to run so we Andrew ran them while I sat in the car.  I was talking to one of my friends, updating her about what the doctor said when the doctor's office called and said they had gotten us an appointment later that day in Charlotte.  We grabbed a bite to eat and headed to Charlotte to see what this doctor had to say.
 
We arrived 40 minutes early {ha!} and checked in.  The nurse took us back and started asking questions that went a little something like this...
 
Nurse:  So you guys are here today because your baby's head is measuring big?
Us:  Yes, that's what they told us.
Nurse:  Do big heads run in your family?
Me: Have you seen my husband?!  {ha!  But seriously, hubs has a big head.  All the guys in the family do!  It's something I have prayed about since we first got pregnant (for selfish reasons...who wants to birth a big headed baby?!?)}
Nurse:  Do you have gestational diabetes?  Were either of you big babies?
{You get the picture....she was getting a little history!}
 
She gel-ed me up and up popped a picture of our little big man.  She took a few measurements and seemed a little shocked that my doctor had sent me to them.  She said he looked perfectMusic to my ears.  She said his abdomen was measuring about the same as the head so there were no concerns.  She said he was just a big baby.  Already over 7lbs.  And we still had 5 weeks to go??  After that she brought {the.most.amazing.} doctor in who confirmed what the nurse had just told us!!  We had a big, healthy baby boy!
 
{the.most.amazing.} Doctor said that he would recommend to my doctor that they do a C-Section at 37 weeks.  Two weeks from that day!
We have an appointment Thursday with my doctor to see where we go from here. 

God is faithful.



5 insights:

Meredith

I can't imagine how scary that must have been! So glad you received good news and that you might be meeting your sweet lil man soon! Sailor was breech also and my scheduled c sec was a walk in the park! Super easy and relaxed. I opted out of the external rotation. I figured she turned that way for a reason. These babies know what is going on...ya know! Yay for a happy healthy baby boy!,

kimmie

girl...i can't believe all you went thru last Wed!!! I am so relieved for you guys that everything is ok. God is faithful!!!

The Broome's

So glad everything turned out ok. You are right...Our God is Faitful!

Erica Ledbetter

Can you say STRESSFUL! Gah, that is why I was glad I only saw one doctor the entire time! And sometimes they just dont know how to make you aware they just flat out tell you and then what??? Send you on your way! I am soooo happy that sweet Hudson is doing great! I loved having a chunky baby! But youre right who wants to birth a big headed baby?! OUCH!!! C-Section would be much more preferred! ha! I am praying that everything goes smoothly for the rest of your pregnancy! Now its for real not much longer! xoxo

Winter

Wow! Girl I can only imagine what you were going through. I am so glad that you received good news and that everything is going to be okay! Will be praying for a safe and happy little boy! Can't wait to meet him!

Post a Comment